Monday, August 1, 2011

Geography Lessons & Maine Lobster

I've had a nice last few days. With the stress of establishing where I would be living for the month of August behind me, I think karma has finally kicked in in my favor.

On Friday, I visited four new states and filled some major (and pretty embarrassing) holes my early education (I never formally learned the geography of the US). I now know that New Jersey is south, not north, of New York, as well as many other critical geographical facts involving the Northeast. Also, the Hamptons are on Long Island. Who knew? Don't answer that.

Bridget, Rob, Doobs (David Doobin), and I spent the weekend at Bridget's family's summer house in York Beach, Maine. Maine is gorgeous, and it actually does get really hot there in the summer, in spite of the clothing you may, if you are me, think to pack. On Saturday, I consumed more lobster in 6 hours than I had in my 22 years prior. Here's the thing about lobster: peeling it yourself is a buzzkill. It's also depressing, because unlike other expensive foods that come in small portions, you and your lobster spend a long time together before any eating happens and you find out just how little food is actually inside that huge shell. I recommend lobster rolls, but know that you'll have to specifically ask for a plastic bib with a lobster on it, for which your waitress will probably judge you. Worth it though. You've gotta have that lobster bib.


Here we are with the local (famous?) lighthouse, The Nubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment